Social Security Disability Requirements
Many of our clients that come to Binder & Binder® have held off from applying for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because they are under the assumption that they don't meet all of the requirements. However, many more people meet Social Security Disability eligibility requirements than you may think.
Social Security Disability Requirements for Adults
According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), the definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. SSA pays only for total disability and not for partial disability or for short-term disability. Under SSA's rules, you are considered disabled if you meet the following requirements:
- You cannot do the type of work that you did before
- You have worked and paid into Social Security, earning sufficient work credits
- The SSA decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s)
- Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death
To decide whether you are defined as disabled according to the SSA, the advocates at Binder & Binder® can go over each Social Security Disability requirement with you and help you handle your SSD claim.
Social Security Disability Requirements for Children
SSD is not just for adults! The advocates at Binder & Binder® can assist you in securing benefits for your child once they turn 18. For a child with a disability to receive Social Security Disability benefits on your record after age 18, the following rules apply:
- The disabling impairment must have started before age 22
- They must meet the SSA's definition of disability for adults
- One parent must be disabled, retired or deceased
Of course, as you probably already know from dealing with the government, the requirements listed above aren't as simple as they sound. Even lawyers don't always know them! Successfully applying for SSD can take a lot of time and effort due to government red tape. But at Binder & Binder® you don't have to worry about dealing with the government. We do it for you.
Contact us at Binder & Binder® by calling 1-800-66-BINDER to get the right information about SSD requirements and benefits.